Synopsis – Feb 21, 2012
Solicitation Number: NNM12424492R
Posted Date: Feb 21, 2012
FedBizOpps Posted Date: Feb 21, 2012
Recovery and Reinvestment Act Action: No
Original Response Date: Mar 07, 2012
Current Response Date: Mar 07, 2012
Classification Code: F — Natural resources and conservation services
NAICS Code: 541370
Contracting Office Address
NASA/George C. Marshall Space Flight Center, Procurement Office, Marshall Space Flight Center, AL 35812
NASA/MSFC has a requirement for ongoing work and implementation of the (United States Agency for International Development) USAID SERVIR FY12-13 Work Plan. Additionally, this procurement is in response to a request from the USAID to perform Land Use Land Use Change Forest (LULUCF) mapping which will be a major input to the greenhouse gas (GHG) inventories in six South African Development Community countries.
NASA/MSFC intends to purchase the items from the Regional Center for the Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD) in Nairobi, Kenya. Competition is impractical for the following reasons:
1. RCMRD assumed the role of the host institution of SERVIR-Africa in 2008 and began establishing the framework for management and utilization of SERVIR-related environmental information. Since that time, as the implementing arm of SERVIR-Africa, RCMRD has made significant progress in strengthening regional and national capacity to better take advantage of SERVIR, and in improving the technical infrastructure to manage environmental data and information generated through the SERVIR system Funding was provided to NASA from USAID under a Participating Agency Program Agreement (PAPA). USAID approved RCMRD for hosting and operating the SERVIR-Africa system, and supports continuation of RCMRD’s engagement.
2. This procurement is a follow-on for continuation of activities implemented under the existing RCMRD contract which has been the implementing arm of SERVIR-Africa.
3. USAID has already made a significant investment in the infrastructure at RCMRD with the installation of USAID funded equipment (hardware and software) to build capacity to satisfy the technical requirements.
4. USAID in concert with the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Secretariat and collaborating partners has specifically requested that RCMRD, under the auspices of SERVIR-Africa, be an implementer in the development of Sustainable National GHG Inventory Management Systems in the Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA) region, a major undertaking to address challenges in development of quality and sustainable national GHG Inventory Management System in the ESA region.
5. SERVIR is a high-visibility project at NASA/MSFC, NASA/HQ and USAID. It is also a model implementation of the Global Earth Observation System of Systems–a multinational effort to build an earth observation system. This level of visibility further supports the need to continue engaging an institution such as RCMRD that is well recognized in the geospatial community.
The Government does not intend to acquire a commercial item using FAR Part 12.
Interested organizations may submit their capabilities and qualifications to perform the effort in writing to the identified point of contact not later than 4:30 p.m. central time on Wednesday, March 7, 2012. Such capabilities/qualifications will be evaluated solely for the purpose of determining whether or not to conduct this procurement on a competitive basis. A determination by the Government not to compete this proposed effort on a full and open competition basis, based upon responses to this notice, is solely within the discretion of the government.
Oral communications are not acceptable in response to this notice.
All responsible sources may submit an offer which shall be considered by the agency.
NASA Clause 1852.215-84, Ombudsman, is applicable. The installation Ombudsman is:
Robin N. Henderson NASA/MSFC Building 4200, Room 918A Telephone: 256-544-1919 FAX: 256-544-7920 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Point of Contact
Name: Iris Walter
Title: Contracts Administrator
Name: Melinda E. Dodson
Title: Contracting Officer